As a church, we stand on the solid rock of Jesus Christ and understand the Bible is the Word of God. So when God says “Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it” (Proverbs 22:6) we take that seriously. Deuteronomy 6:6-7 say this. “And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.”
God places the responsibility for teaching children on the parents. The purpose of New Life Christian Academy in the Home is to encourage parents who have chosen teach their children at home, not only in the Word of God, but in the entire scope of their education. We would like to invite parents who home school their children to join in the fun.
The NLCA meets together on a regular basis for cross subject teaching, field trips, and other activities. Members are invited to participate in all related activities. The teaching curriculum used to teach your children is entirely up to you as the parent. NCLA will help you choose a curriculum if you have questions.
We believe the education is important and should be taken seriously by the parents. While we do not set specific requirements on any homeschooling family, and our group is open to all home schooling families, we would make the following recommendations.
- You should have an organized plan of education that includes the basics of reading, writing, mathematics, science, history, and, of course, Bible. The curriculum, or mix of curricula you use as the basis for that plan is completely up to you.
- You should have a way to chart your children’s progress. This is a tool to help you as the parent manage the education of your children. It also puts you in compliance with Maine law. The state rarely (if ever) checks in on home school families.
What we offer is this:
- A place to meet for cross teaching, curriculum exchange, fellowship and more.
- Organized, periodic field trips
- We have a certified teacher who will do your portfolio reviews during the summer at a reduced rate or we will recommend a standardized test for you to pursue. All in house reviews are 100% confidential.
- A friendly, life building, church environment that offers like-minded fellowship for home schooling families.
- At 5:00 Sunday afternoons, our church offers the Patch the Pirate Club. This is a children’s choir program that would serve as a weekly music class. This is followed at 6:00 by the Family Bible Hour, which would serve as a weekly Bible class.
For more information, please call 897-9333 and we will get back to you, or you can visit us on a Sunday morning at 10:30, or for either of the Sunday afternoon classes mentioned above, and we will get you connected!